Sarva Shiksha Abiyan (SSA) is the flagship programme of Government of India to achieve Universal Elementary Education in the country in a mission mode.SSA aims to open new schools Building in those habitations which do not have schooling facilities and strengthen existing school Infrastructure through provisions of Additional class rooms, Ramp, Drinking water, Toilets for Girls, CWSN, maintenance grants and school improvement grants.Keeping with the above objectives, the major component of the programme is Civil works.Under Civil works Provision for
- Construction of school buildings for New, Building less and Dilapilated schools.
- Construction of Additional Class Rooms in Primary and upper primary schools.
- Construction of BRC and CRC centers.
- Construction of toilet for girls, boys and Child With Special Needs.(CWSN).
- Construction of Boundary walls to Schools.
- Major Repairs.
- Drinking water.
- Construction of Kasthuriba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya.
These are residential school called KGBV. Large number of girls of the age group 10-14 years tends to drop out of the schools several reasons. Any temporary scheme limited to few months in a year may fail to keep these children in the school. These girls susceptible to early child marriage or becoming child labour. Therefore it is important to open residential schools with boarding facility for such children. SSA provided a special scheme called as KGBV.
- Environmental assessment Report through Technical support group in three phases.
- Site planning cover whole school planning in which future expansion is taken care.
- Building Designs
- Incorporating Earthquake / Cyclone Resistant features.
- Implementation of concrete roof to kitchen shed to avoid Fire hazards.
- Implementing Disaster management System.
- Creating a barrier free physical environment in school.
- Ramps with hand rails to be provided for Children with locomotors impairment .
- Provision of embossed eye, charts on walls and avoid Projections, sharp edges etc. for children with visual impairment.
- Provision of Supplementary visual information- ideograms for children with hearing impairment.
- Provision for lot of open space and greenery, Use of bright colors and provision of in built play elements for children with uncommon social behavior.(Intellectual impairment.
- Quality of construction.
- All construction are supervised by technical persons, who may be either from the government departments or recruited on contract.
- Independent third party evaluation of civil works to improve quality of construction.
- Technical support staff.
- State project office of SSA Consists of one Executive Engineer, one Asst. director, Four consulting Engineers and one Architect, Two DEOs, one Accounts asst, Two FDA’s.
- Four Asst. Executive Engineers are appointed at divisional level and 33 Engineers at district level, 202 Junior Engineer at block levels are inspecting school buildings constructions work at all levels.
Activities and Progress
>> School Building
- New School Building Sanction for the year 2001-02 to 2009-10.
- Additional Classroom , Head Master Room & Room for upgradeed School Sanction for the year 2001-02 to 2009-10.
- Additional Class room for Bangalore Metro city for the year 2001-02 to 2009-10.
- Major Repair year 2001-02 to 2009-10.
- Toilets Sanction for the year 2001-02 to 2009-10.
- Separate Girls Toilets for the year 2001-02 to 2009-10.
- Special Toilets for CWSN for the year 2001-02 to 2009-10.