Policy Planning Unit
Policy Planning Unit is a joint collaboration of Government of Karnataka and Azim Premji Foundation and working jointly in accordance with the working document signed by the two stakeholders in March 2003. This unit was initially started functioning from DSERT and later on shifted to the office of the Commissioner for Public Instruction.
As per the PPU working document, PPU came into existence in support of the vision for Karnataka to emerge as the leader and trend setter for excellence in elementary education in India, to act as a think tank which can contribute to developing education policy and to assist the Department for Public Instruction to:
- Build administrative and technical capabilities.
- Document and transfer academic practices and
- Enhance community involvement in schools
Selected officers drawn from the Education Department and subject experts from the Azim Premji Foundation jointly work in a synergistic manner as a team. Presently there are 3 officers deputed from Government of Karnataka and 6 people deputed from the Azim Premji Foundation.
Since 2003 PPU has carried out a number of analyses, planning activities, review notes, research studies and training programs. Larger projects carried out include “Organization Study of the elementary education delivery system”, “IT Training for department officers”, “Namma Shaale – for community school interface” and the “Management Development Program for department officers”.
Today PPU functions with multiple agency support, while still focusing on its mandate. The agencies and nature of support are given below:
Programmes in PPU
Education Leadership Management
- Management Development Program-1
- Management Development Program-2
- Management Development Program-3
- Institutional Capacity Development
Policy Support and Documentation
- The report of the study commissioned by World Bank with regard to the Management Development Program and the Education Leadership Development Program in Karnataka – carried out in late 2010.
- White paper on Education Leadership Development .
- Education Leadership Development Programs.
- Creation of Contextual Educational Leadership and Management.