Free text books are provided to all children of studying in Govt schools from class 1 to 10th, for For Govt-aided schools from class 1 to 8th.
- To all children within an upper ceiling of Rs.150 per child at primary level and Rs.250 per child at upper primary level.
- Primers / textbooks developed for tribal languages with bridging materials to facilitate a transition strategy to the State language of instruction and English, would be eligible for class I–II within the ceiling of Rs.150 per child.
- Within the ceiling of Rs.150 per child per year at primary level,States can support workbooks, worksheets and other essential teaching learning materials which together constitute textual materials for the subject, class or grade.States to continue to fund free textbooks being currently provided from the State Plans. States to continue to fund free textbooks being currently provided (2007-08) from the State Plans to non-SC/ST boys studying in Government and Government-aided primary and upper primary schools. The financial implication of this charge will be restricted to
- cost of free textbooks to non SC/ST boys only to those States where
these are not being provided under any existing State schemes.
- In case any State is partially subsidizing the cost of textbooks being supplied to children in Elementary classes, then the assistance under SSA would be restricted to that portion of the cost of the books which is being borne by the children.
(Ref: F.2-3/2005 – EE.3 dated –22nd February, 2008. This amendment takes effect from 1-4-2008)