In-service Teacher Training:
Karnataka is well known for its capacity for having qualified teachers in its schools.There are no para or untrained teachers in the state. Now a days every one find out the frequent changes in the society . It is important to incorporate the positive changes in the education system. Change in the curriculum and text is not an easy job. But giving an updated knowledge and changes which are necessary to adopt in the classroom process and in the day today activities in the class can easily made through in service training to the teachers.
All teachers are trained. but there is a need to update their knowledge in content and methodology when ever they needed. therefore in service training is part and parcel of any quality based projenct like Sarva Shiksha Abhiyana.
All the in service trainings were conducted with a module for resource persons and for teachers.
Identification of training needs
State identify the needs of training with help of DIET and monitoring faculty and to follow the State policies.
- According to the general observation of DIET faculty during their school visits they identify the need of Hindi training to HPS teachers ,as because they are not trained teachers Hindi teachers and facing problems number of problems in teaching Hindi both in content and methodology.
- State introduce Nali kali methodology in all Govt. schools for class 1 and 2 from 2009-10. therefore there was a need to give extensive training to all LPS teachers regarding this method.
- State introduce English from class 1 to 4 as a language. Here state planned to conduct English training to all LPS teachers to give strengthen to their English knowledge and methodology to teach English as a language through Rhymes, Stories, Language games ,TPR activities and vocabulary.
According the need and state policy , state identify the following subjects for in service training 2009-10.
- Nali kali - 6days + SATCOM 4 days
- English - 3 days
- Gender (Bimba) - 3 days
- Jeevana Vijnana 2- 5 days
- Evaluation Training - 3days
- Hindi (Khali Khili )- 3 days
- IED training - 3days
- Child labour - 1 day
- Chaithanya-3 in (7 Subjectsfor High schools) - 3day foe each subject.
- Geography training for High schools - 3days.
- CRC Sharing Work shops -5days
- Sevadala -7 days
- Scouts and Guides - 7days.
- Other trainings ( Chaitrada chiguru, Chinnara angala ,census, School academic plan, Head master training (Srujana), according to the order of the State SSA Office and according to the district need.)
Identify the resource persons for each subject with the help of DIETs.
State always wish to have a mixed group of resource persons in almost all steps in teacher training.(DIET lecturer or Senior lecturer, teachers from high school and from LPS /HPS, BRPs and CRPs, Subject experts from colleges). With the help of DEIT and CTE state identify the resource persons according to its need ( based on the subject and training selcection of resource persons take place).This helps to develop a good module with their experience.
Conduct workshops (in 3 0r 4 spells) at state level and prepare the training module and training design.
Based on the subject and duration of training, many works shops were conducted at state level for the preparation of module and training design.
Some time work allotted to prepare the module to the DIETs and CTEs. Ex: Preparation of Chaithnya-3 modules was held in different CTEs.
- Kannada - CTE Jamkhandi
- English - CTE Mysore
- Hindi - Hindi B.Ed college Mysore
- Social Studies - DSERT
- Mathematics - CTE Mangalore
- Physics and Chemistry -Gulbuga
- Biology - CTE Chitraduga.
Printing the distribution of modules from the state by following financial norms.
State provide training module to all teachers which include extra information
It also prepare separate module for resource persons, which includes important points to be disused in each session, methodology, TLM and other preparation which helps us to maintain uniformity in cascade training.
In the year 2009-10, 15 days of In- Service training has been planned for the teachers.(Block level 10 days and Cluster level 5 days).Following In-Service Teacher Trainings have been conducted for the Lower Primary school teachers and Higher primary school teachers.